Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Top 10 Tuesday: Best of '11

Top 10 Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we're particularly of lists here at The Broke and The Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top 10 lists.

I haven't read too many books this year that were only published this year, but there certainly were books that I read that rocketed straight up to my 'favourite books of all time' list. Some are from recent-ish, while others are from a completely different era. Not all are my top rated reads from this year (although they're all 4+ out of 5) but all are awesome and should be read by all of you!

1. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
So. Damn. Emotional. An amazing book that really sits with you for quite awhile afterwards. It's a beautifully written story with characters that leap off the page with life. My favourite read for the year, and one that'll remain there for awhile I imagine.
read my review here.

2. A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin
I devoured this series this year! I watched the first episode of the television adaptation and was so awe-struck that I dropped everything and got my hands on the first book. I was basically a hermit until I finished these books, they're some of the best fantasy I've ever read. Huge. Amazing. Addictive.
Begin reading my reviews for this series here

.3. Pet Sematary by Stephen King
An amazing mix of supernatural and real horror. I had chills from the earliest pages and it continued to escalate until the very last page. Loved it, can't wait to find the time to re-read it!
read my review here.

4. Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis
Crazy good. Warren Ellis is my spirit animal, he's such an intensely good writer. This was my first foray into his fiction (he's usually a comic writer) and he definitely held his own. Not for the faint hearted.
read my review here.

5. Freakangels by Warren Ellis (graphic novel)
My Favourite graphic novel series of the year. The writing and story was captivating, but it was the art that really drew me in with this series. Paul Duffield is incredible, he proves that a picture truly is worth 1000 words.
read my review here.

6. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
Short and straight to the point, this book was huge is scope. It tackles some intense themes and concepts, but it does so with such finesse that anyone can read, enjoy and appreciate the story that discusses them. Plus it was the inspiration for one of the greatest films ever, Bladerunner.
read my review here.

7. Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
A really fun book that tackles the rather weighty subjects of religion and the end of the world. The blending of Gaiman and Pratchett was one cooked up in heaven, we're not worthy of such awesomeness to be honest.
read my review here.

8. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Of the books I've read this year, this is second only to Never let me go. In one word, this book is EPIC. It's intense and funny and creative and mind-boggling and Neil Gaiman deserves all the awards in all the worlds. So. freaking. good.
read my review here.

9. The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
The book that the hit film was based on. An interesting blend of psychology and religion, that, I'm not afraid to admit, had me so scared at times that I had to switch over to cheery TV to calm myself down.
read my review here.

10. The Goon by Eric Powell (graphic novel)
A really short but really incredible comic. Hugely funny, and not at all serious, anyone who doesn't have some kind of stick up their butt should read and bask in the bizarre hilarity of this book.
read my (mini) review here.

honourable mentions: Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (re-read), Cell by Stephen King, The Doctor is Sick by Anthony Burgess and The Vagabond King by James Conway.

14 comments:

  1. I really loved Good Omens, great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Omens was the first Neil Gaiman book I read--what a fun encounter it was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must reread Never Let Me Go! It's so beautiful but I can't remember it proper properly! And yay Pet Semetary! That nearly made my list but just got pipped by something else (I think... I may have written it ages ago and my brain might just be filled with PRESENTS still hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your list - so many books on here that I want to read - I've only gotten to the 2nd book of the Fire & Ice series - need to finish it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read Never Let Me Go. I know my husband read many of these books, and loved them, but haven't tried them yet. One day I will! Great list!
    Hopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pet Sematary is one of my favorite classic Steven King books...great choices! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh I hear Never Let Me Go is good! But creepy/eerie I think? I've been meaning to read American Gods for a while now!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Michele | Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really ought to read Never Let Me Go. It's been in my book pile for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I added Never Let Me Go to my list at last minute. I loved it so much and it still haunts me now!

    I keep meaning to watch the film but haven't got round to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the new look on the blog. Never Let Me Go is probably one of the books that I've had on my TBR the longest. I don't know why I don't finish it, and I won't watch the movie until I have. Philip K. Dick is great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have both Never Let Me Go and the first book of the Song of Ice and Fire series to read over the summer. Looking forward to both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never Let Me Go is one of my favorite books ever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to see loads of books from my TBR pile on your list, including Never Let Me Go. I also read The Exorcist this year, and it has a sequel which should be a good read for 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read Never Let Me Go this year and Pet Sematery a few years ago and they both still haunt me! I'm planning on reading the Game of Thrones series next year - glad you enjoyed it! Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...