Monday, December 19, 2011

Monday Links

*An interview with Haruki Murakami in The Paris Review.

*A statement by Louis CK about his adventurous choice to sell his comedy special direct to the public (for a teeny $5) and what this means for the future (and right now).

*A short piece about the young boy, Thomas Horn, who'll be playing the lead role of Oskar in the cinematic adaptation of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. 

*A piece by Christopher Hitchens for Vanity Fair. I believe it's the last piece he wrote before passing away last week. It's the first writing of his I've ever read, and I think reading the man's take on mortality and the "trial of the will" was a poignant place to start.

*I haven't been on twitter for long, so other than the passing of Steve Jobs I've rarely witnessed the outpouring of tweets dedicated to a single person. The Guardian posted an article that amassed many of the twitter/news/tv/interview tributes that were made by writers/politicians/etc after Hitchens passing.



2 comments:

  1. Ah, Hitchens. I have... issues with him, because although I basically agree with him on religion, he wrote this essay on why women aren't funny and I just kind of wanted to strangle him for writing it because it was so awful and untrue and just UGH. But then, I think he was well aware of his contraversialness, and was ok with it, which I kind of respect. Even if he was a misogynist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've never read any of his work (except the linked article above) but from many of the comments coming out since his death it sounds like religion will probably be the only area I agree with him too. That said, he does seem like a more than adequate writer, so I'll probably give a few of his essays a go.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...