Thursday, December 1, 2011

November Wrap-Up

I can't believe 2011 is basically over. It's been an amazing year. I moved in with my boyfriend, completed my honours thesis, made some real headway on my career as a film researcher, really gotten into this book blogger business and made a tonne of friends with all you awesome bloggers. Now that it's close to ending I'm realising how much I still have to get done in order to get through all these challenges. I'm really glad I haven't taken on too many for next year, because I'm currently scrambling to get through all of these books and it's taking a little fun out of it. Anyway, here is my first monthly wrap-up now that I'm free of my uni commitments and able to read freely again.

Hosted by Two Bibliomaniacs
Aim:
8 books and 8 films.

Progress:
Finally making some headway...7 books and 5 films so far.

News/Notes:
My online video store has only just sent me Blade Runner...I've been waiting for 4 months for it! So I'll watch that in the next day or two and get a review online. Also, I've made a few changes to the books I'm read/films I'm watching. I've added The Exorcist, I Am Legend and Pet Semetary because they're in my bookcase and easier to get hold of. The books I took of the list, I, Robot, Stardust and American Psycho will be high on my TBR next year.

Books Read:
The Great Gatsby (Graphic Novel) by F. Scott Fitzgerald  adapted by Nicki Greenberg - A fantastically well-done graphic novel that captured one of my favourite stories about life in the 1920s.
Read review here.

LA Cofidential by James Ellroy - It took a little while to get into but by the end I thoroughly enjoyed this massive read.
Read review here.

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty -As terrifying as I expected, but with an interesting addition on the conflicts between religion and psychology within the church.
Read review here.

Films watched:
The Great Gatsby, starring Mia Farrow, Robert Redfern and Sam Waterston - Such a fantastic movie. Perfect casting and very true to the book.
Posting review soon.

LA Confidential, starring Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey and Guy Pearce - A rare instance where I preferred the film to the book. A more streamlined version of the crime novel, lacking none of the sophistication or punch of the book.
Read my review here.

Next to read:
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson

Next to watch:
Blade Runner (1982) starring Harrison Ford, Sean Young and Rutger Hauer and The Exorcist (1973), starring Ellen Burstyn, Max Von Sydow.


Hosted by GabrielReads

Aim: Avid Reader (2 books per month)- changed from the original aim of casual reader (1 book per month)

Progress: I'm very, very far behind. Of the 14 books I need to read I've currently read 9. Considering most of the books in my bookshelf that I haven't read yet are huge in size or scope, I think it's unlikely I'll successfully make my way through this one.

Books read:
Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby - An enjoyable tale about second chances at life, love and career, and the difficulty this entails.
Read my review here.

The Dark Tower:The Gunslinger by Stephen King - The first of King's much loved fantasy series. An interesting start, can't wait to see where it goes.
Read my review here.


Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea by Guy Delisle - A graphic novel depicted a cartoonists two month stint in North Korea. An eye-opening look at the very secretive country.
Posting review soon.


Next to read: TBA


Aim: 75

Progress: 67 read so far. According to GoodReads I'm currently one book behind. I think I should make it though, or it'll come close at least.

Books read:
Cell by Stephen King - This book takes place after cellphones release a pulse which "reboots" people's brains. Interesting book, couldn't put it down.
Posting review soon.

Happyslapped by a Jellyfish by Karl Pilkington - Funny if you're a fan, but if you don't like his style of comedy, or know his voice this won't be a book you enjoy.
Read review here.

Anything New:
*Tom and I created a new blog, Hail Horror, Hail where we review old and new, bad and good horror films, books, games and music.

*The results are in for my Christmas giveaway! In case you missed the actual post, the lucky winners were Belle and Laura! If I had enough money I'd have sent you all presents, but alas I am no Hilton, so only these lucky two will be receiving bookish gifts in the mail. Congrats girls!

7 comments:

  1. Have you changed the look of your blog? Or is this something that happened a while ago and my powers of observation have failed me yet again? Looks good regardless.

    Glad you had such a good year. Sounds like you had quite a good reading month too. I enjoyed Cell and the Gunslinger too. The Gunslinger series just gets better as it goes on. Was very disappointed with the ending though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only changed it in the last hour or so, I'm not quite sure if I'm going to keep it though...feels a little girly.

    I've heard people say the Gunslinger series keeps getting better, but now you've worried me about the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is all pretty! I like it :). Also, don't be worried about the ending of The Dark Tower! I mean, I know what Karen up there is saying, and I feel her... concerns, but also it's kind of cool, and a bit like oooh... but ALSO, everything that leads up to the end is so awesome that it hardly even matters what the end is like. Well, I think so anyway :).

    I'm doing the book to movies challenge too (only one book and film to go, wooo!) but is it just me or have two bibliomaniacs stopped putting up things where you can link things? It makes me grumpy that they have lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed Cell as well though I have never gotten into Kings Dark Tower Series.
    Have a good weekend!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the calm down Laura! I would have kept reading anyway, but I'll probably always have that niggling thought in the back of my head...at least when I get to the last book!

    Yeah, I noticed the lack of linkage too. I linked one recent review to the latest one up ther (Oct I think) but I figure it's more a personal challenge now?!

    Think I should keep the blog like this? Not too pretty?

    @Shelley, have a great weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and Laura I mailed your giveaway prize off today...let me know when you get it. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too pretty isn't a thing! But if it's too pretty for your taste then I think you should change it :). I don't know if you saw, but two bibliomaniacs have put up a new review posting thingy for December now- I'd like to think this is all down to us, but they probably just forgot for November hehe.

    Also, yaaaaaaaay prize :). I shall indeed let you know when I get it, and I'm sure I'll love it :) (There were 3 smiley faces in this comment- fucking hell!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...