Friday, July 1, 2011

June Wrap-up

I don't usually do these but since a couple of challenges began this month I thought I'd start so that I can document my progress and all of that fun stuff. So I'll be listing all my challenges and progress and a mini-mini review and links back to the original reviews should you choose to check them out.

So!

Hosted by Two Bibliomaniacs
Aim: 8 books and 8 films.

Progress: 1 book and film so far. I'm thoroughly enjoying making my (slow) progress through this challenge.

Books Read:
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - A fantastic read and a wonderful way to kick off the challenge. This book is one of my favourite reads of 2011, and is up there with my favourite books of all time.
Read the review here.

Films watched:
Never Let Me Go, starring Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightly and Andrew Garfield -A great movie but lacking some of the oomph of the book.
Read the review here.

Next to read:
True Grit by Charles Portis

Next to watch:
True Grit (2010) starring Matt Damon, Jeff Bridges and Josh Brolin.


Hosted by GabrielReads
Aim: Casual Reader   (1 book per month)

Progress: I am actually trundling on at a better rate than I'd expected, and if I continue like this I might end up aiming for Avid Reader.

Books read:
The Doctor is Sick by Anthony Burgess - A bit slow to start but by the end I really enjoyed it. Not quite A Clockwork Orange but it's left me hungry for more of his books.
Read review here

Pet Sematary by Stephen King - Terrifyingly fantastic. This was the first horror film I saw as a kid and I was glad to see the book was even more horrifying and insomniac-creating than the film!
Read review here.

Next to read:
TBA


Aim: 75

Progress: According to Goodreads, at 39 books read so far, I'm 3 books ahead. Let's see if I can keep it up!

Books read:
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - Fantastic! Full of intrigue, characters that spring off the page and a world that is so detailed, chaotic and beautiful.
Read review here.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - Superb. An amazing mythical adventure. Can't even say how much I love it.
Read Review here.

Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis- Outrageous, hilarious and wonderful. Not for everyone, but if you can handle a bit of blood, sex, and foul language this book will knock your socks off!
Read Review here.



Aim: A new Harry Potter post every week until the final film comes out.

Progress: This little challenge is coming to a close, which makes me a little sad. It's been fun though, and it's always amazing when others take part!

Most recent post:
My favourite conspiracy theories that circulated the series.
Read it here.

Next post:
The most shocking or unexpected deaths in Harry Potter.
Read it on Wednesday the 6th of July.


Anything New:
In August I'm taking part in a month long reading challenge to raise money for MS Australia. They work tirelessly funding research into multiple sclerosis and trying to make MS sufferers lives a little easier, so I'm aiming to make as much money as I can to help them with their cause. So if you have some spare change jangling in your wallet or bank account maybe think about sending it to  a deserving charity. You can check out my progress and/or make a donation here
 
I'm on Tumblr now, you can find me at Nylon Admiral, Illustrated, and basically it is a companion blog to this one filled with all the photos, videos and bits and pieces that I don't feel right flooding this blog with. It isn't all book related though, more a mish-mash of the many things that inspire me and make me laugh.

I'm after some requests for my Fanart Friday feature. Each week I choose a book/author/character theme and then showcase several artists who have drawn, painted or sculpted around that theme. If you have a favourite book or character that you think would be perfect for this, or perhaps know an artist who creates bookish things then let me know in the comments section, via twitter (@Murphy_Kayleigh) or by email, kayleigh(.)f(.)murphy@gmail(.)com.


So there you have it, my June wrap-up. I'll continue to do this at the end of each month to keep you all up to date with my progress, but if you want to see my progress mid-month, or want links to my challenge reviews or posts you'll find them under the 'challenges' tab.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...