Saturday, April 27, 2013

Readathonning it up

Update #3:

Well guys, it's been swell but I think that's me done. I'm off to see Jurassic Park, and as much as I love reading, I am not putting off Jeff Goldblum for it.

Uhhhhh yeah. Jurassic Park-y time 

I might make it back for the final hour, but in case I don't, here are my final stats.


Books I read (or part read): 5
Little Star by John Adjvide Lindqvist,
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born by Stephen King and co
Harry Potter 6 by JK Rowling
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Books finished: 2
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born by Stephen King and co

Pages read: 572

Snacks eaten: 
Popcorn
Hot chocolate with marshmallows
SO MUCH iced tea
More marshmallows
Easter chocolate
Wine.

Challenges completed: 4

So I might see you back here for a final update but if not THANKS FOR THE FUN DEWEY READATHON. You are the bestest.




Challenge #4: 

Picture Break - Instagramming your Readathon (Hosted by  Samantha at The Bookish Diaries)


From L-R: Where I've been reading (bed!), What I've been snacking on (mmmm, hot chocolate), My TR pile and one of the books I've finished. (taken from my Instagram and Twitter)



Update #2: 

It's 10 to 4 in the afternoon and I'm still in my underwear. This my friends is the true beauty of the readathon.

 I just finished The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born and ZOMG it is amazing. The art and colouring is phenomenal and the story blew my mind away. Can't wait to read the rest in the series, but I'll probably leave them for another day.

I'm umming and ahhing about what to read now, should I keep reading Little Star or pick up a brand new book? I kinda feel like an easy read, and I have a feeling Little Star is about to get gruesome. BUT, I've already got a few half finished books so I really should read one of them right?

How's everyone been coping reading over night? Since I slept and am now basking in the glorious sunshine of Queensland I am feel puh-reeetty amazing.


Quick stats: 

Books finished: 2
Pages read: 506
Kilograms gained by ridiculous snacking: About 40



Challenge #3: 

Cover Me (hosted by Stacy at Stacy's Books)

My votes:

1. Best Title

Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris (because I just read a Sedaris book so his awesomeness is fresh in my mind and his titles are always bizarre and brilliant)

2. Best Dressed 

Hattie Ever After by Kirby Lawson (THAT HAT!)

3. Cutest Couple

My Mother's Wars by Lillian Faderman (I can't say no to a dancing couple dressed that fine)

4. Most Delicious Cover 

Cooking With Flowers (this category is not fair, so many cakes! But cakes + flowers is an easy winner)

5. Cutest Animal 

The Little Book of Sloth (Squeeee! Sloths!)

6. Cutest Kid

Scenes from Early Life by Philip Hensher (because it's a fantastic cover AND a cute kid)

7. Best to Avoid in a Dark Alley 

In Search of Goliathus Hercules by Jennifer Angus (beetles and bugs...*shudder*)

8. Best Tattoo 

Bodies of Subversion (Because WOAH, I like a lot)

9. Best Cover 

The Dinner by Herman Koch (Because sometimes simple is the most effective)



Challenge #2: 

Take a book you just finished reading or are currently reading and cast the main character only. (hosted by Alsia at My Little Pocketbooks)

Originally posted in the comments section: 


Ok, I finished Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins and I have MANY thoughts on casting.

Character: Anna, teenager unwillingly moved from Atlanta to Paris to attend boarding school.

Actress: Anna Kendrick, mainly because book Anna is quite similar to the Pitch Perfect character Anna Kendrick played, substituting music with film, and maybe toning down some of the sarcasm/angst. But the whole hate-my-dad-not-your-average-gal thing that Kendrick does is PERFECTION.



Challenge #1:

Take a picture of the place and/or book you are reading currently and post it somewhere (hosted by Kristen @ The Book Monsters)

Reading Little Star in bed with my kitten (originally posted through Instagram)


Update #1:
Ok, update! It is time!

I took a snooze from about 1.30am until 7.30am, woke up and read a bit more Little Star, made some AMAZING cinnamon pancakes with bacon and maple syrup and read some more. Now it's mid-day and I've decided to move onto a The Dark Tower graphic novels based on Stephen King's series. Y'know, mixing it up and what not.



Onto the mid-way survey!

1) How are you doing? Sleepy? Are your eyes tired?

I'm ok. But then I've only been reading for 5+ hours so I'm hardly the right person to ask this question to.

2) What have you finished reading?

I finished Anna and the French Kiss, but in fairness I only had about 50 pages to go so it barely counts.

3) What is your favorite read so far?

I am conflicted over Little Star, and not 100% sure if I actually like it, or if I just want to like it because I LOVED Let The Right One In so much. But I loved Anna and the French Kiss, wayyyy more than I expected.

4) What about your favorite snacks?

The hot chocolate with home-made marshmallows last night was mother-flippin' sweet. I am definitely going for a second round of that at some point today.


5) Have you found any new blogs through the readathon? If so, give them some love!

I was sleeping through most of your days, so I haven't really had a chance. When my brain feels a little more fried though I'm going to take some time out to cruise the blogosphere.

Happy readathoning folks!

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Intro post:
Ok, I only decided like 2 minutes ago to actually take part (I'd decided the time difference might make things suck) so I am completely unprepared and all of the place. What's different to how you normally operate I hear you all say. Touché readathoners, but that's also just a little bit mean.


It's OK, I'm OK but let's be a little kinder in the future mmmm'k?

Question time!

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?

I'm in Brisbane Australia and it's very very night-timey outside.

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?

I have no stack to speak of, I'm planning to just go up to my bookshelf and umm and ahhh for hours like I usually do (what? This isn't a winning technique?) but I'm looking forward to finishing Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?

ALL THE SNACKS. But mostly the marshmallows I made last week. How tasty? SO tasty.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!

I am the proud owner of the teeniest and cutest black kitten the world has ever seen, I watch way too many TV shows (If you've seen the Battlestar Gallactica sketch from Portlandia then you know me well) and in two years I will officially be Doctor Zombie. What? You didn't realise that was a thing? *pats your head patronisingly*

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?

It's my first and I'm looking forward to reading some books and falling asleep reading books and eating many, many snacks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...