Saturday, April 20, 2013

Crazy-Good-Easy-Peasy-Marshmallows Recipe

I found my new favourite food blog, How Sweet Eats. If I had a food blog, I'd like to think it'd be a little like this one. Which is basically a bunch of super tasty food, beautifully photographed and filled will rambley who-even-knows writing. I just need to work on the cooking and photographing, the rambling I've got down solid. 

Anyway, this marshmallow recipe is BONKERS. It is so tasty, and so easy to make and I never thought I'd be able to make marshmallows because the recipes always call for corn syrup and candy thermometers AND I CAN NOT BE DEALING WITH SUCH NONSENSE. I'm a throw it in the bowl kinda lady, and even though this isn't that, it's still easy enough for a lazy girl like me to get right. 

The only problem is that this was so easy that I can see myself making a batch like every two days in winter, because marshmallows are the bomb-diggity in hot chocolate, and I am all about hot chocolate when it's cold. Watch this space, i'm about to get FAT. But content, I will be a fat and happy lady and I think I'm OK with that. 

So, on to the most fabbity-fab marshmallows you will ever make! 

Ingredients: 
2 x 50g packets of gelatin (2 tbsp)
8 tbsp of cold water
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/3 cup cold water
2 tsp vanilla extract (I only used 1 tsp because I use a concentrated extract, and that was perfect)
1 vanilla bean
1/4 tsp salt
Icing sugar, for sprinkling

Method:
1. Take an 8x8 cake tin and spray it with a non-stick spray and sprinkle icing sugar across the bottom and sides of the pan. Set aside. 
2. Put the gelatin into a small bowl and slowly stir in the 8 tbsp of water. It should become a little lighter and fluffy looking, almost like a foam. 
3.  In a small saucepan combine the 1/3 cup of water with the sugar and heat over a medium heat. Stir constantly until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is beginning to form small bubbles.  
4. Stir in the gelatin mixture and bring to the boil. Once boiling remove immediately from the heat and transfer it to a mixing bowl. The mixture will begin to bubble up like crazy, so be sure to get it off the heat asap. 
5. Leave the mixture to cool slightly.  
6. Add the vanilla extract, the seeds from the vanilla bean and the salt.  
7. Beat on a medium-high speed for 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture is white, glossy and nice and thick.  
8. Spread it into the cake tin and top with a little sifted icing sugar.  
9. Leave for at least four hours, but overnight if possible. And to remove, simply slide a knife along the sides and slowly tip it out.

And that's it! That is all there is to it. It's basically fool proof, and if you haven't cooked with gelatin before DO NOT FEAR, because I hadn't either, and I handled it with aplomb. I've always wanted to say that, and a blog post about making marshmallows seems...apt. 

So go forth friends and marsh up all the mallows! Eat them all yourself, or share them with your friends, family or that stuffy colleague who you've been struggling to warm up to. Light and fluffy vanilla bean marshmallows are the GREAT EQUALISER. They will end world hunger and war. They will convince aliens that we are a noble species and they'll unite with us so that we will share this recipe, and together  we will travel the galaxy sharing marshmallows with delightful green folk. THEY ARE THAT GOOD PEOPLE.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...