Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 7- A Book that’s hard to read

I'm not sure if this question is about a book that is actually difficult to read because it's dense or like most Russian novels have 80000 variations of the same name or if it's difficult to read because of the actual content of the story. I'm going to go with the first interpretation of the question I think!


Ayn Rand

I don't usually like passing opinion on books I haven't finished, and I certainly didn't finish this one, but it was so hard going, and dare I say, dull.I decided to start it because it seemed to be one of those books that an avid reader should read, but I quickly decided a few chapters in that it was not for me, and from that moment I made sure I read books I wanted to read because of the story rather than the label attached to it.  
It was verbose to the point of being painful and the characters seemed really flat to me. For those who haven't heard of it, the basic storyline (thanks to Goodreads since I haven't read enough to tell you myself!) is;

"Tremendous in its scope, this novel presents an astounding panorama of human life - from the productive genius who becomes a worthless playboy - to the great steel industrialist who does not know that he is working for his own destruction - to the philosopher who becomes a pirate - to the composer who gives up his career on the night of his triumph - to the woman who runs a transcontinental railroad - to the lowest track worker in her Terminal tunnels." This is a mystery story, not about the murder of a man's body, but about the murder - and rebirth - of man's spirit. It is a philosophical revolution, told in the form of an action thriller of violent events." 

Has anyone read this and loved it? I'd love to hear what you have to say about it!

2 comments:

  1. An old boyfriend from high school and college loved the two big Rand books, but I just couldn't make any headway.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...