Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 4: A book that reminds you of home

The Harry Potter Series
By J.K. Rowling

This series fits into so many of the 30 day challenge topics, but most of all it reminds me of home, and by home I mean my family. I started reading the series when I was in year 6 (1999) with a group of friends and we all absolutely fell in love with it. This was just before the boom of HP popularity, and I remember at the time thinking that my friends and I were responsible for its popularity!! By the time the third book came out my entire family was reading and loving the series, probably the only time that has ever happened. Every time a new HP came out we'd speed read through so we could pass it on to the next family member who would do the same so that about a week after its release all 4 of us would have finished it and have begun re-reading it again! All of our books are so tattered and loved, their pages stuck haphazardly back to the cover with miles of sticky tape.  Debates about characters, story-lines and the movies make up about 90% of our conversations, and while they can get heated, it's fantastic to be able to discuss something in such detail with the entire family. Now that my brother is older he's joined in with the family tradition, although my sister's love for the series has probably far exceeded the rest of us. It's almost frightening how devoted she is to the characters and story, her room is full of HP memorabilia and she knows far more details to the novels and films than I could ever hope to retain. Still she isn't nearly as full on as the guy below!


       

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...