Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 14 - The book you can quote best

Hunter S Thompson

The Doctor is one of my favourite authors, both his fiction and non-fiction is some of the most evocative, interesting and down right crazy stuff I've ever read. He had a command over words that journalists and writers alike would kill for and that readers will continue to be caught up in for generations to come. Fear and Loathing was my first HST and I watched the film at around the same time I read the book. Both are fantastic, both are completely bonkers. They amaze me. Both the film and the book have added greatly to my repertoire of literary and film quotes and these tend to come in handy a bit more than some of the more lofty or historical writers I love, at least out at parties! 
Some of my favourites are...
 
"We can't stop here, this is bat country!"  

"Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits -- a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage." - The quote I kept going back to while I was studying journalism, before eventually deciding to pack it in.

"Jesus Creeping God! Is there a priest in this tavern? I want to confess! I'm a fucking sinner! Venal, mortal, carnal, major, minor - however you want to call it, Lord... I'm guilty." 

"One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

"Turn the goddam music up! My heart feels like an alligator!" 

"You took too much man, too much, too much."  
-Always said as Benico Del Toro says it in the film, well overused by yours truly whenever I see drunks stumbling around on a Friday/Saturday night!

"No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten."



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...