Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Top Ten Tuesday... Santa please bring me...




Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!







This week the gang at The Broke and the Bookish want to know what books you want Santa to leave under the christmas tree. Because I'm heading over to Japan in 6 days (Yayyyy!!!) I'm not getting too much from my family apart from things necessary for my adventure into an exotic winter wonderland, so this list is a nice way to think about all the books I wish I was waking up to on the morning of the 25th. 

This is a list of the top 10 wants off my Amazon wishlist but they're appearing here in no particular order. 


1. Animal Farm: A Fairy Story Written by George Orwell, Illustrated by Ralph Steadman
Animal Farm is one of those seminal texts that I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I've never read. Not because it doesn't interest me but I'm holding out to find a lovely old second hand edition to add to my collection because from what I've heard about it and the extracts I've read this story is right up my alley. I'm willing to buy a brand new copy of Animal Farm if it is accompanied by illustrations by Ralph Steadman. In fact I'll buy anything that has Steadman's name attached to it. Anything.

2. Handling the Undead Written by John Ajvide Lindqvist 
 I fell in love with Lindqvist when I read Let Me In and  am now eager to devour anything else he pens. Moving on from vampires this is his tale on zombies, a subject matter that I am utterly entranced by (interesting fact; I am applying for my honours where I'll write a thesis on zombies in film). I read the first chapter the other day while I was in the bookstore and I haven't been able to get it out of my head. If I was ranking this list this would probably top my list of must-have books. 


3. Rosemary's Baby Written by Ira Levin
Basically I love the film adaptation and I love horror. 'Nuff said.

4. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins 
 I've heard people raving about this for awhile and since it doesn't seem as pathetic as Twilight (which was the last series I caved in and read because of friend's reviews) I figured I might as well give it a go. Apart from it centring around children in a dystopian future I actually don't know much about this, but sometimes that's better in this style of novel. If anyone can direct me to one of their reviews please do!


5. Freakangels Vol 1. Written by Warren Ellis, illustrated by Paul Duffield
I'm a massive Warren Ellis fan (Transmetropolitan is my favourite graphic novel series EVER!) and have recently converted to the church of Paul Duffield (read why here). This series has everything I love, genetically altered people, dystopia, steampunk, dark themes and Ellis's fantastic writing, yes please!

6. Crooked Little Vein Written by Warren Ellis 
I think this review on Amazon explains why I want to read this far better than I could ever...  
"Full of mind-bending style and packed with a wild cast of characters, Crooked Little Vein infuses Robert B. Parker with Kurt Vonnegut and the madness of the graphic-novel world."

7. Ah Pook is Here Written by William S Burroughs, illustrated by Malcolm McNeill
I've mentioned by excitement about this before. The release date is slowly getting closer and I am realising I really need to pre-order my copy (from the English Amazon, the American is sold out already) so that I can get it the minute it hits the shelves. I haven't been this excited about a book release since Harry Potter 7!

8. Unwritten Vol 1 Written by Tommy Taylor, illustrated by Peter Gross
This is a graphic novel series that I find really intriguing, it is a tale of the son of an author who makes a living out of paid appearances at conventions sitting on show as the son who shares the name of the father's popular character. Whoops, did I make that sound confusing? Publisher's Weekly says this series questions the "celebrity-worship manias of fantasy fandom and the very nature of storytelling itself" and infuses this with a "brisk and addictive story, sketched with crafty allusions to classic literature". it sounds like a series I could really lose myself in.

9. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test Written by Tom Wolfe
This is another book I've long been meaning to read, and as a huge Hunter S. Thompson fan I've been told that this is a book I really should have read long ago.

10. Preacher Vol 1. Written by Garth Ennis, illustrated Steve Dillon
This series sounds like it is 10 shades of filth and nastiness and a whole lot of kick-ass. The synopsis on Amazon is "The story follows an ex-preacher man, Jesse, who has become disgusted with God's abandoning of His responsibilities. So Jesse starts off into the wilds of Texas with his hitman girlfriend and new best friend (a vampire) to find God so that he can give Him a piece of his mind". This sounds mad!!


So what is on your wishlist fellow bibliophiles?




 

10 comments:

  1. I read The Animal Farm when I was in college, and I'm ashamed to say, it was just a rapid skimming of the book. I liked what I'd read, but it has been some time now since I've wanted to have a second go at it.

    Risa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Animal Farm, yes! Hunger Games, yes! These should be in Japan, too. Enjoy your trip. Take lots of pictures. Don't forget those of us who live vicariously here.

    My list of books I hope Santa brings is here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What books am I hoping to get from Santa?

    1. Hunger Games triology box set by Suzanne Collins
    2. Millennium/Girl with the Dragon Tattoo box set by Stieg Larsson
    3. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
    4. Matched by Ally Condie
    5. Vampire Academy box set by Richelle Mead
    6. Of Thee I Sing by President Barack Obama
    7. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
    8. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
    9. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
    10. Strange Fate by L.J. Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Hunger Games trilogy is a fantastic trilogy. I love those books so much! I hope you get them for Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Also ... I love Ralph Steadman too! cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Hunger Games is great - definitely worth the read! I'd love to read Animal Farm too - never read it either so we can be embarrassed together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too enjoyed Let the Right One In and would love to check out Handling the Undead. Darn, I forgot to include it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, the Hunger Games series is totally intense (and in my opinion, better writing quality than the Twilight series).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really interesting list--good luck with Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some books I've heard of others I haven't. it's weird because I actually have a copy of rosemarys baby on my shelf that I found at a goodwill quite awhile back when I first started reading. (needless to say it's old looking)

    As for the hunger games. I read the first and honestly wasn't thrilled with it. (I know alot of people are though) I do have the second one to read so I'm hoping I like it better.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...