Thursday, December 23, 2010

My Holiday reading list

I'm usually really terrible when it comes to taking books on holiday with me and end up with far too many taking up much needed space in my suitcase. This time I only brought two books up to Cairns with me and have been given a third by my mum to read as well. I think they're pretty varied so hopefully that means I won't be stuck with three books I'm not interested in all at the one time!


 No Hope For Gomez by Graham Parke

This is my light, comedic novel. I think it'll be ideal for the later part of the flights, train rides and downtime in the hostels, simple enough that I don't have to put to much brain power into deciphering meaning yet humorous and interesting enough that it takes my mind off the doldrums of travel and makes the time pass enjoyably.





The Plague by Albert Camus

This will likely require a little more attention to be spent on the reading, but I find Camus an author I can sink into fairly easily. Camus will probably be reserved for reading by the fire at the ski lodge or perhaps somewhere equally comforting like a coffee shop where I can let his words and the accompanied warmth from the fire and the drinks wash over me.






The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

This is the novel my mum passed on to me when I arrived in Cairns as she and my sister both read it on their recent trip to Adelaide. Neither of them enjoyed it but not wanting to waste a perfectly good book she suggested I give it a go, and if I don't like it at least take it with me so I can swap it at one of our hostel's book swaps! This is the book I'm reading in Cairns so I may have finished it before I head to Japan (especially since I'm avoiding leaving the house because the outside world = money spent) but if I have any of it left I'll be trying to read it on the plane. As an action thriller it has the perfect mixture of a fast paced plot combined with a relative easy plot structure so it should help the long plane flight drag a little less.

And if all else fails I have just started Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on my Ipod and I have the rest of the series sitting there waiting for me. Good old HP, he never lets you down!!

2 comments:

  1. hope No Hope turns out to be simple enough for ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man you know what I mean!
    I actually started it on the plane up here and I'm really enjoying it so far, especially the downstairs neighbour and his late night escapades!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...