Sunday, January 13, 2013

Discussion Post: What the heck does Jackson have planned for The Hobbit?

I can only guess that Tom and I were still loopy from the major food intake on Christmas day, but for some reason we decided boxing day would be the best day to visit the movies. Stupid. Stupidest idea in the existence of ideas ever. STUPID.

But one good thing that came out of it was that we got to see The Hobbit in 3D and the new higher frame rate (HFR). I know some people have been a little negative about this film but I flippin' loved it. Perhaps it's because I'm a mad D&D player and it got me eager for some dungeoneering of my own, or maybe it was a love for the LOTR series or maybe it's just a good film - I don't know, I don't care, I enjoyed the hell out of myself.

Don't look to pleased with yourself yet Bilbo...

But what I'm still not sure about is the whole trilogy thing. After getting back from the film I decided I had to reread the book. It was something I had wanted to do before the film, but I just never found the time. The last time I'd read the book was too far back to even remember, so my memory of the plot was spotty at best; Gollum, dragons, lots of dwarves, barrels, the ring and that was about it. So while I was enjoying the heck out of that fabulous book (sans songs: THEY SUCK) I was trying to work out where the next two Hobbit films would head.

You see, the first film covers the first 6 chapters of the book, which is roughly a third of the book. (there be spoilers ahead) Logically you could see them splitting it equally that way. Film two would lead them past Beorn, the wood elves and into Lake Town. It would probably end either with them entering the mountain or killing the dragon. The final film would then cover the war of the 5 armies and then the wrap up (which is loooooooong). The only problem with this is the additions and changes that were made to the first film, which basically means that it can't go ahead that way.

The biggest issues/obstacles are Azrog the white orc (a goblin briefly mentioned in the book) who is determined to kill Thorin, and the necromancer, who was mentioned twice in the book, but is clearly (both from the additions in the film, and the imdb page for the third film) going to occupy a much bigger role. Both were (mostly) welcome additions to the film for me, but they've left me basically gobsmacked as to how this whole trilogy shiz is supposed to pan out.



My best bet is that they still follow the basic format. The dragon dies at the end of the second film, and the third is dedicated to the war of the 5 armies, however they shift it so first Azgog has his showdown with Thorin and then everyone (minus the goblins and orcs I guess) has to unite against the Necromancer. Or maybe they keep the necromancer as a side story that Gandalf deals with alone while the dwarves and Bilbo do their business at the Lonely Mountain. I know that originally it was meant to be 2 films but Jackson was having issues with the editing (dude needs to go to a workshop or something) and split it. So it's not inconceivable that the story split between the dwarves and Gandalf is the way it goes - especially if there is actually another Tolkien story about the take down of the necromancer (in the Silmarillion perhaps?). BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW GUYS, I DON'T FREAKIN' KNOW.



What about you guys? Have a theory or two about what direction the films are going to take? Did you even like the first film? I need to talk this shit out, yo.



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...