Sunday, April 1, 2012

March Wrap-up

March was a difficult reading month for me. I found myself drawn to graphic novels or TV shows and stumbled over the same sentence time and time again when I tried to read. So it's been pretty slow, but I managed to add another book to each of my challenges (*ahem* they might have been the same book that works for both...) so it wasn't too bad! How did everyone else go this month?

Hosted by Booking in Heels
Aim:
10 books and 1 film.

Progress:
3 books and the film

Books Read:
The Invisible Man by H.G Wells - A short read, but surprisingly humorous and one that I really enjoyed.
Read review here.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen -film review - Quite different from the graphic novel, but a well-fleshed out story. I enjoyed the larger cast and the sets and costumes were amazing.
read review here.

Next to read:
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson


Hosted by Curiosity Killed the Bookworm
Aim:
One sci-fi book a month.

Progress:
I used my League of read as my Sci-fi challenge book this month.

Books read:
The Invisible Man by H.G Wells -see above

Next to read:
 Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.



Aim:
50

Progress:
31 read so far.

Books read:
Ugly to Start with by John Michael Cummings - A patchwork quilt of a coming of age story. I really enjoyed this one. It's up there in my top 2012 reads.
Read review here.

Daphne and the Mysterious Girls Secret Bathroom Society by Robert Shields - A different approach to a YA magic tale. It has some problems, but overall a decent read.
Read review here.

Locke and Key by Joe Hill - A great graphic novel series by Stephen King's son.
Read mini-review here.

Anything New:


*I'll probably be posting only one review a week now thanks to the business of my Phd schedule, but I'm going to attempt to add a discussion post in place of the other review. I'll just have to take it as I go.

*I'm after some recommendations of new books to read. Any genre, any length, any topic. What have you read and loved? What MUST I read?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Dr Jeykll & My Hyde is a little beauty of a novel. Really, really good. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DON'T ASK FOR RECOMMENDATIONS, I MAY NEVER STOP! I will just say that I've just finished 1Q84, and I am in love with it. Oh, and To Kill A Mockingbird is always a must for every human being ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really hoping I enjoy it James, I read a child's edition as a kid but I have no idea how close that runs to the actual novel. Can't wait though!

    More, Laura, more! I have IQ84 in my bookcase from Christmas, but with the rate I'm currently going through books (read: slow) I feel like it'll take me all year to get through! I might bite the bullet soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing well with the LoEG Challenge - I've only read one so far, and it's MY challenge!

    I posted a quarterly wrap-up at the end of March with a Master list of books read :)

    I recommend The Scarlet Pimpernel, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Hanna, I've added it to the list!

    I've been enjoying finally getting into all those classic texts! Thanks for the motivation to finally get them off my shelf :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...