|Hosted by The Broke and The Bookish|
1. I'll often read the last line (or last paragraph, or last page) of a book when something tense is happening earlier on. And more than once I've flipped through the book looking for a favourite character's name to know that they aren't going to die. It's a terrible habit, and more than once I've spoiled the entire story...but I can't quit it!
2. I'd rather buy a book than loan it from a library. If I borrow a book (from a library or a friend) I feel obligated to read it, and that usually ruins it for me. If I buy it, then I feel free to take my time and get to it when I get to it. Unfortunately this has resulted in bookshelves that are 40% full of books I haven't read and probably won't, if I'm being honest, ever read.
3. If it has a person's face on the cover, I probably won't buy it. Unless it's a book I need for a class I will avoid these covers like the plague. I'll search for weeks for a typography, abstract or plain coloured cover and even pay more if it means it's faceless! Oh and don't ask me why, I have absolutely no idea where this weird aversion came from!
4. I'm irrationally precious about some books, but others I'll happily annotate, dog-ear and crack the spine. There's no reason for this, they could be expensive, cheap, signed by the author, for a class, new, second hand...some books just seem more...special...than others.
5. I guess my next secret should probably be that I annotate books. Perhaps it's because I'm a researcher and my life would be infinitely more difficult if I couldn't make notes in my books as I go, but sometimes I just HAVE to underline a quote, or note a particular style of writing I like.
6. I'll probably judge you by the book you're reading on the bus/train/bench. I know I shouldn't, but if I see you reading a trashy romance novel, 50 Shades or a book I hated I will instantly judge you (sorry!).
7. I'm a notorious skimmer if I find myself bored. I skimmed all the songs in Lord of the Rings, the first 2 or 3 chapters of Harry Potter (before I fell in love and re-read it over and over!), and dialogue scenes in books that aren't quite doing it for me.
8. I really like the idea of poetry, but I just can't read it. I find it infuriating and boring and the second I see a poem my eyes slip off the page and focus on something (anything) else.
9. I really want to support local sellers, but Amazon and The Book Depository draw me in all the time. Considering they're usually 50-75% the cost of non-second hand booksellers here in Australia, it's really hard to resist their charms. Interestingly though, I will always buy my comics local and never online.
10. A bit similar to the face covers, my series have to match. They can't be a mix of hard and paper back, and they can't be a collection of different editions. I spent 2 hours rummaging through the Lifeline Book Fest tables searching for a complete set of The Lord of the Rings that matched, and I've got two collections of Harry Potter - the child and adult editions!