Sunday, August 22, 2010

Bret Easton Ellis

A few weeks ago my boyfriend and I drove down to Byron Bay to see Bret Easton Ellis speak at the Byron Bay Writer's Festival.

 The interviewer (Ramona Koval) was horrible. She may be respected as an interviewer but she had obviously never read any of his work, and seemed to get all her information off wikipedia. When Bret rambled at the beginning of the interview about Delta Goodrem she ignored his obvious discomfort and continued probing him with long, detailed questions (I swear one question took 5 minutes for her to spit out) before getting angry and making a large effort to spoon-feed him a deliberately simple question. However he put her back in her place when he humorously criticised her multi-questioned question, and then admitted to suffering from nerves. After than the interview got back on track and I was pleased to see Bret as hilariously caustic and self-depreciating as I’d hoped he'd be. 

After the interview he stayed back to sign books for the audience, here is my personalised copy of Less than Zero....



And my boyfriend's much more personalised edition of Glamorama (I wonder if anyone has asked Bret to sign a book like this before?)





**** Read this interview with Bret Easton Ellis. So good AND so bad! No interviewer comes out of an interview with B.E.E the same as they went in. This is why I love this man! Part 1 and Part 2

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...